Monday 25 October 2010

Mid Argyll Sprint Triathlon 2010

This event has added meaning for me as it's my only completed triathlon of 2010. More than that – it's a very very special event put on by a team of even more special people.

The DareToTriLife blog began with the inspirational story of the 2010 Ironman championships. But away at the other end of the distance scale are the sprint (750m swim : 20k cycle : 5k run) and super-sprint distances (varies but might be 400m pool swim, 13k cycle and 3k run). It's one of the characteristics of triathlon that it's so approachable and accessible. It really is true that no matter what's happening in your life there's a race format and a distance that will suit you. Loads of time & commitment? (with an endless supply of family support) – go long. Less time ? – go short. Simply do the distance that suits your lifestyle. For some the anaerobic burn of the sprint is enough and they focus and specialize on that discipline. For others the allure is in the distance and the achievement of Ironman or ITU long-course. Point is there is no excuse, no barriers. There’s even off-road bike & trail run variants. Whatever your time constraint, your ambition, your experience level – there is a triathlon distance and an event out there to get you hooked.

Mid Argyll sprint triathlon is my local event and I am lucky enough to know the folk behind the race. I also volunteer to help on raceday. Which began this year as it has these past 3 years by being on-site for a 6.30am start : hammering in signs or wrapping people in hazard tape or laying out warning cones on the course. The eternal angst is if the chap who freely (and very kindly) provides and assembles the bike rack scaffolding will a) remember the date or b) remember the start time. This causes the Race Director to become progressively more withdrawn, mono-syllabic and near catatonic (**) as the early morning sunshine burns off the dew. To the scaffolder's credit we have never ever been let down.

An important aspect of late-scaffolding syndrome & its effect on our beloved Race Director is the fact that he's the leading local triathlete. Those veteran males helping set up on race day (eg. Matt, Tim, Richard etc), have long suspected that we have been somehow selected to help from 6am each successive race morning to wear us down and increase his chances. All our carefully stored glycogen is pretty much burned up by the start of race briefing at 10.45am. It's the scaffolder who brings balance into this equation. Long live the scaffolder !

This year the weather in Argyll was an archetypal June morning transposed somehow into late September. In truth that weather had no right being there & in some southern hemisphere location our normal wet cold windswept autumn day was probably turning up and ruining someone's wedding. Anyway we had it and we were holding on to it. Blue skies emerged once the mist had evaporated and the light wind had shifted to assisting cyclists on the outward leg. There have been years when a snorkel was required on the bike – but even then the warmth of the event itself is all you can recall.

If you are planning your 1st triathlon in 2011 : in September and at sprint distance – this is a race not to miss. The organizing group's sole concern is to showcase triathlon and helping the competitors have a great day at whatever level they wish to participate. Do all 3 disciplines yourself. Be a team of blokes, or if biology has already made that impossible, be a team of women, be a junior team or be a mixed team – just come along and get involved. It does not take itself too seriously nor is it overly testosterone fuelled – it’s a safe, friendly well run and utterly positive event.

My racing aspirations for this are different than most years. I had (for me) a great race last year and was (I felt) competitive for an aging forty-something – that was until 1.5k into the 6.5k run. It was at that point last year that Race Director, whom we shall now call “Stephen”, loomed large and the illusion of my competitiveness was shattered. This year, in June, I was fished out of the swim during my “A” middle distance race in Wales and registered my only ever DNF (did not finish). A few things conspired on that day but most of all my swim training in the pool was simply not sufficient. Not enough laps. I had tried to address that since and my secret weapon in 2010 was to work strongly on bike strength. In retrospect I had not enough running in the legs for this race. Triathlon is a lot like life – you can’t find harmony without balance. Or put another way – GET A TRAINING PLAN AND STICK TO IT – You Idiot ! Sorry – that was directed to me not you & I didn’t mean to shout.

Anyway scaffolding assembled, bikes racked, all competitors briefed and the 1st heat's underway. I'm in a later heat as I hoped for an improved swim time when I registered for the event online back in June. I noted with horror that Stephen is in the same swim lane and he humbly placed himself behind me in swim start sequence. I knew he'd achieved a wonderful swim PB earlier this year so this was almost certainly the wrong way round. I later learned that the poor chap lost out on 2nd place only by 7 seconds – I know that lane placing cost him more than 7 seconds. Placings are organized such that all the vet males are starting the swim at approx the same time and that gives the race a terrific spark.

I have sadly not been as much involved with the Masters swim group this year but still I hear things. There’s a new Hazel making her debut. A Kirsty that’s coming back from injury. I hear there's a bloke called John Anderson and he's bought a new (go faster) bike, Matt's as demonic as ever – possessed with the drive and a will to win, Peter's run form this year is outstanding and he had a better bike leg than me last year. Tim's “gone long” in 2010 but has sacrificed marathon training short term for sprint focus. Stephen is reputed to be in his best shape ever. Eamonn – ahh well. Eamonn’s simply young, gifted, athletic, determined, aggressive, competitive, healthy, trained, honed and in amazing shape. But since he’s not a vet Eamonn doesn’t count.

Watching the previous swim heats is inspring, Hazel is elegant economy and Simone quite simply extraordinary - such effortless speed and grace. To be honest everyone involved is doing well and the Mid Argyll Swimming Pool is pristine and gleaming – sunshine streaming through the roof windows – a perfect venue on a perfect day. It's about now, with maybe 10-15mins to go that I start to wonder about a “sloshing” feeling in my stomach. I have felt nervous but this is different. Pretty soon it's obvious that I'm going to be ill and a rapid action is required to rebalance things. No idea why that happened – it's as if my stomach simply shut down an hour previously and all the pre-race nutrition just stayed stuck there. Well it's not there any more ! Gain composure and just time to listen to Ian's pre-swim briefing then cap on and into the water. No time to worry.

New triathletes / would be triathletes – this is not normal and it’s not inevitable. Most likely it’s been the pasta thing from the neighbouring garage which served as “breakfast”. You won’t find that advice in Joe Friel’s Triathlete’s Training Bible. I do notice that Stephen too is also very nervous – which is a puzzle. I suspect he places a greater burden of expectation on himself than most – and he has been in terrific form & this event is dear to his heart. Whistles are blown and we’re away.

I have but one ambition – to get a draft from those feet that left 5 seconds ago. But Sandy is defending the honour of his toes by sprinting off like a thing possessed. Sandy is impressive. It maybe takes 3 lengths to happen but happen it does. A shortage of breath, and a flashback to Wales. There are some microseconds when scenarios are run through, options to quit evaluated and binned, and then reason kicks in. I slow my rate, give up the pursuit of Sandy’s metatarsals and find a swim rate I can cope with. Stephen behind me must be aware of the change of pace – that’s probably when he lost his 2nd place. It is just a few more lengths before Stephen’s inevitable signal demands I giveway. From then I focus on Matt in the next lane and try to ensure I can keep just a little ahead of him. Another triathlon truth emerges: when beset by adversity or opportunity – redefine your goals.

If the swim is a barrier to your triathlon aspirations learn from Matt. He has worked diligently over the last few years - attended Master’s classes and learned a life skill. Every year he improves his technique and his competition times are in freefall. Matt has made it happen – you can make it happen too. Find a beginner’s class and give it a go. The swim might be the reason that people don’t do triathlon but it’s the magic in the event.

This swim seems eternal to me & the tap on the head which means 2 laps remain was so very very welcome. I can see Peter leaving the pool as I turn into my penultimate lap. Stephen leaves the pool with a good 30second advantage. However I only dropped 19 seconds on last year and that Welsh dragon is limping southwards if not exactly slain.

I’m looking forward to this bike leg. I love this tribike and I’m gonna fly. The others are out there to be hunted down and I’ve the short fat hairy legs to do it. I have a target in mind here : 36km/h for the duration. That should deliver me to the lead of the vet’s heat. It goes to script passing the better swimmers routinely until past half way. There’s Stephen and the heat leader. I try to stay outwith the draft zone and when I make the move to pass them it kills me. I can’t sustain the pace and I’m back behind them. Cat and mouse for 2 or 3k then I make a move and pull away – from Stephen at least. Of course I have no idea how close they are behind me but I can’t cycle any faster anyway and this is my best shot. A photograph later shows a perfect pace line and Stephen’s hanging in there. Exciting or what ?

T2 is still a mystery for me. I know I led it in but Stephen led it out with an amazing transition. I didn’t see him again until the turnaround on the run – where he was characteristically supportive. My run was simply dull – no issues but no flair. I know I can do that a lot better. Don’t get me wrong the setting was fantastic – along the Crinan canal & seeing the athletes pass on the out & back course is terrific. All high 5’s and cheers of support – an infinity of smiles in an ocean of encouragement.
And here is my abiding memory of the 2010 race. Peter ran me down.

I saw him coming, I heard him closing down the gap. I could do nothing about it. Peter ran me down with such determination, focus, skill and grace. If there was ever a Zone – then that Zone that day was all Peter’s. Peter owned that Zone. His run performance was breathtaking and 2 minutes better than the previous year – how do you make that sort of improvement ? I guess you work hard, keep healthy and keep balanced.

Steven’s performance too was outstanding and he must surely be knocking on Scottish Age-Group standards – a PB in a race he’s been doing now for 9 successive years. But I’ll guarantee everyone who took part will have taken great satisfaction in what they achieved.

So here you have a glimpse of the magic of triathlon – 5 aspects : swim, T1, bike, T2, run – it’s very very likely that you’ll do something better than you’ve ever done before. And then there’s stuff you know you can still improve with more time and better focus. Fascinating - and if you have to have an obsession (outside of your family) then can you think of a better one than this ?

Post race – a terrific (and free) buffet provided by the organizors as the times are collected and prize winners established. Upbeat music throughout and the inevitable buzz as 100+ race stories are told, retold and compared – and however bad my swim and run : at least I wasn’t “chicked” unlike Matt & Tim ! The sponsor (MacQueen Bros of Oban) delivering the prizes makes it clear he’s rightly proud of the event and since he took part – he knows what he’s talking about.

Just about 5pm the scaffolder appears – with frustratingly good timing. Race Director, still dizzy from the amazing suceess of...
  • a) his wife’s amazing debut 
  • b) the almost as amazing weather 
  • c) the best organized sprint race I’ve ever attended and ...
  • d) his own record breaking performance 
.......simply couldn’t care less. Wanna tri in 2011 ? Check out EntryCentral or the Mid Argyll Triathlon and Cycle Club Website. Remember ..this is an excellent event in which to debut.


** I checked this : the definition of a catatonic person from the web was….Catatonic patients will sometimes hold rigid poses for hours and will ignore any external stimuli. Such as Steven Whiston, Argyll, Scotland 1 morning each September

No comments:

Post a Comment